Friends of Sherburne NWR support refuge events:
- Fall Wildlife Festival and Spring Event
- Snowshoe Hikes
- XC Ski Tours
- Bird, Butterfly, Wildflower Tours
Thanks to Bruce Ellingson, Barbara Pool and Dean Kleinhans for photos
ENGAGING THE COMMUNITY WITH NATURE AT SHERBURNE NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE
- Supporting Nature Education
The Friends of Sherburne believe that the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge is a unique natural resource and that we can help the community develop a deeper appreciation and understanding of the refuge and its mission.
Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge consists of 30,700 acres of Federal land that represents a diverse biological community characteristic of the transition zone between tallgrass prairie and forest. The refuge was established to protect and restore the habitats associated with the St. Francis River Valley for migratory birds and other wildlife purposes. The focus of the refuge is on the restoration of oak savanna, wetland, and big woods habitats.
The refuge is located approximately 9 miles northwest of Zimmerman, Minnesota, and roughly 50 miles northwest of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area.
For information on any event or other questions about the refuge call the refuge office at 763-389-3323 during normal office hours: M-F 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Friends of Sherburne NWR - ongoing support:
- Eagle's Nest Nature Store allows fundraising through selling nature related books, clothing, field guides and equipment and gift items. Two locations serve the public at Oak Savanna Learning Center during special events and at refuge headquarters during normal working hours Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Funds for tables, chairs, audio/visual equipment, trails, Wetland Education Station, and snowshoes.
- Fundraising through grant writing allows the Friends of Sherburne to help support the mission of Sherburne NWR in habitat restoration and conservation projects.
Friends Membership provides you with:
- Seasoal newsletter and updates about refuge events and programs
- Invitations to special members-only events
- Discount of 10% at the Eagle's Nest Nature Store (open M-F at Refuge Headquarters and at the Oak Savanna Learning Center during events)
- Ability to support conservation efforts at a local venue where everyone can enjoy nature
- Satisfaction of being part of a group that can take on ambitious projects such as enhancing the learning spaces in and around the Oak Savanna Learning Center
- Membership fee is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law